#Sew10 Wrap Up

As my final #Sew10 action, I tackled the box of assorted bits of fabric left down at my parents house at some point in the last 18 years. In it I found:
- approximately 10-15 hat circles and two or three (haven’t counted the actual pieces) pre-cut “French Style Cardigans”, many associated ribbings bands for hats and enough fleecy for lining them too. Yep, the kids clothes business got shoved in a couple of boxes. I have another similar box under my house.
- a skirt that never got finished. I suspect I was over optimistic about my waist size by the look of it. So I scavenged the perfectly useful black zip out for reuse.
- more scraps of various fabric – some had been bought as potential “Zac Designs” hat fabric but the testers weren’t well received (ie they didn’t sell so well) so those larger scraps will be taken along to a craft place in town to see if others can use them.
- a bag of trim/ braid that Mum & I think probably came from my grandmother Pep. She would buy the strangest things at garage sales and op shops. Going by the musty smell and kind of random assortment I think Pep was its source. Off to the crafters with that too.
- a bag of handspun variegated wool which is knitting up into a very pretty blue/purple tortoiseshell look. I spun this wool when I was a teenager and never quite got around to knitting it – in the bag was a small sample done on the knitting machine, I suspect handspun wool would have snagged terribly. So, 20-or-so years later I am attempting to knit it up by hand. I have done one strip about 20 cm wide by 60 cm long, and started another. I figure knitting a bunch of rectangles I can then sew into a vest is probably achievable.

The most useful part of the exercise – going back through the box a few days later and categorising – baby related (surely someone I know will have a baby sometime?) some hats to finish, and a couple of larger pieces that may well be useful for facings or similar in the future. Some pieces of fabric got added to the give-away bag, and others simply tossed. They weren’t useful enough to burden anyone else with.Milly helps with cutting out

Done!

Three pairs of Clovers – #sew10

From this

New Sewing Station
to this…

3 Clovers

 

From Friday night through to Monday night I made 3 pairs of Clover trousers, using an adjusted-for-me version of a lovely Colette pattern. I love the small pocket tucked in between the waistband and main fabric. The middle one is neater than it looks, I got tired of ironing properly by the end.

The first real pair was in a very soft drapey¬† black fabric. I’d adjusted the original legs a bit, but found in the really soft fabric they were more loose than I wanted with the other 2 fabrics, so I made a final version of the pattern and sewed the two grey pairs at the same time. This production line sewing saves time and more importantly, brain power – you read the pattern instructions once for a step and use it twice, rather than pinning on the zip the wrong way every single time, you can do it properly on the second pair *before* sewing it in place.¬† I’d estimate it took me about 30% more time to sew two pairs than one. All the same colours used for the seams which made the difference. The colours are closer than they look here.

Notes to self: fabric requirements for Clover are a lot less than the recommended, or perhaps my inches to metres conversion was off. I also used a lightweight fabric as the waistband facing to lessen the bulk. The one major construction change I made was simply overlocking the bottom edge of the waist facing and understitching on to that rather than turning under the facing seam allowance. With the first, slippery fabric the recommended method just didn’t work for me.

In related news I sewed up the fallen hem of favourite skirt that had been languishing in the ironing basket. Wore that to work today and remembered why I liked it so much.